Friday, January 06, 2006

The starting gate - a collection of preliminary thoughts

Here are the websites and Scriptures I have been reading.

House Church Blog
Symphonic Blog

Matthew 18:20
Acts 2:42-47
, 13:1-3, 20:7-38
1 Corinthians 12-14
Ephesians 3-4:16

Books I want to read
Houses That Changed the World by Wolfgang Simson
The Barbarian Way by Erwin McManus

Thoughts so far about "church"

What
1. The Kingdom of Heaven (want to look at all Scriptures on this subject)
2. Wind Chime (analogy found on symphonic blog)
3. Wine/Wine Skin (Matthew 9)
4. A Sacred Space (symphonic site make this sound bad...I disagree) - instigated by God's instructions for building the tent of meeting (Exodus 25-31, see esp. 30:31-32, 37 regarding the idea of sacred things)
5. Jam session (analogy from symphonic blog)
6. ekklesia - a group of people (house church blog)
7. Gathering in God's Name (Matthew 18)
8. God's Family (Ephesians 3:15)

How
1. Collaborative (1 Cor 14:26)
2. Fasting and Worship (Acts 13:2)
3. Communion (Acts 2:42, 20:7) - I've seen this happen every week with a different member of the congregation giving a meditation beforehand...thus incorporating item #1 at the same time. Why not?
4. Preaching, sharing wisdom (Eph 3:8-10)

Why
1. Edifying the people gathered (1 Cor 14:1-5, Eph 4:12)
2. Hearing God speak through the Holy Spirit (Jn 16:13)
3. Unity (Eph 4:3)
4. Preparation for service - service which builds up the Body (Eph 4:12)
5. Service (Eph 4:12)
6. Maturity (Eph 4:13)
7. Glorifying God (Eph 3:21)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holly,
I really like the questions you are exploring and your scripture saturation. I would suggest another book to read if you have room for it - Abide in Christ by Andrew Murray.
The thoughts on sacred space are not meant to imply it is a bad thing, only that the whole earth is the Lord's and we are the Lord's and therefore any space can be sacred space. It just feels as if the creation of localized 'super sacred' space has robbed us of effectively living in the vast expanse of God's sacred space.

10:29 AM  
Blogger holly said...

Ron,

Thank you for being my first comment!!!! How exciting! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog as you can see I've referenced it many times. It really helped me start thinking through what my questions are. I also appreciate your explanation of the sacred space all around us. You are so right in that. My background has made me really enjoy having church buildings to step into and have the quietness in a busy world. However, God can be met with any and everywhere. :)

Oh and I'll be sure to add Abide in Christ to my "To Read" list. Thanks again!

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home